1) Which room is described 2) How many windows are there in the room 3) Are there any plants 4) What is there on the floor 5) Are there any chairs 6) Where is a glass coffee table 7) Where are Indian cushions 8) What colour are the walls 9) Are there a television and a piano 10) Is the room modern or old 4. File 6C. Listening 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14 Listen about murder at Christmas and fill in the chart.
Where was he/she Who was Was Suspects for a murder when Mr. Harvey he/she with he/she the was murdered murderer Tony – Mr Harvey’s son in his room with Sally no Sally – Mr Harvey’s secretary Alison – Mr Harvey’s wife Simon – Mr Harvey’s son Ingrid – Mr Harvey’s daughter Geoffrey – Mr Harvey’s business partner 5. File 6. Travel with English. Listening 15, 16, and 17 Listen to the dialogues and find mistakes in the following summary.
The tourists travel to Prague on Friday. The first train leaves at 5.30 in the morning and arrives at 12 o’clock in the evening. The bus is comfortable, there’s a toilet, food and drinks, but there is no video. The plane is very expensive but really quick. So, they get the plane.
6. File 6. Revision and extension. Listening 20 Listen, match the columns, write the transcriptions of the words and translate the phrases.
Study big Kitchen nice Bathroom cold Hall dirty living-room old PRE-INTERMEDIATE LEVEL CONTROL WORK 1. File 1A. Listening 1 Listen to the questions and write them down. Translate and answer the questions.
2. File 1A. Listening 4 Listen to the dialogues and write down the names which are spelled.
1. … 2. … 3. … 3. File 1A. Listening 7 Listen to the weather forecast in 5 countries and complete the chart.
City Weather Temperature 1.
4. File 1A. Listening A. Listen to the text about weather in Siberia and answer the questions.
1) How many months is there snow in Siberia 2) What is the usual winter temperature 3) What do children and adults do when it’s –35 degrees 4) What do people in Siberia usually wear in winter 5) Is it cold inside the houses 6) Why do people have to close the windows 7) How does the weather change in spring 8) What’s the weather like in summer 9) Was the weather in Siberia the same in the past 10) Why is Chernobyl mentioned in the text B*. Write 10 sentences about your favourite season. Why do you like it 5. File 1D. Listening 13 Listen to the dialogue and match the nouns and adjectives. Transcribe the adjectives.
Nouns: the Spielberg film, Japanese food, the music, Whitney Houston, holidays, the Whitney Houston CD, Spielberg’s biography, China.
6. File 1. Travel with English. Listening 19 Listen to the announcement and write it down.
7. File 1. Travel with English. Listening 21 Listen to the dialogue, find and correct the mistakes in the following summary.
The passenger lost one piece of his luggage. It was a middle-sized case.
There were some important books and his clothes in it. The man was planning to stay at Ritz Hotel for a couple of weeks. The workers of the airport promised to find the case. The man was asked to come to the airport the next day.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 2A. Listening 2 Listen and finish the sentences.
1. Jan lost his …. a) watch b) document c) wallet 2. At the end of his holiday he went …. a) to catch the ferry b) to say goodbye to his sister c) to buy some souvenirs 3. The police officer didn’t want to give it back because of Jan’s ….
a) behaviour b) strange accent c) photo 4. Finally Jan showed the police his …. a) return ticket b) driving licence c) credit card 2. File 2B. Listening 7 Listen and write about the activities Martin has to do (3) and doesn’t have to do (5). Translate the activities.
3. File 2C. Listening A. Listen and complete the sentences.
1. Switzerland / to vote 2. Iceland / to have a dog 3. Japan / trousers 4. Germany / to drive fast 5. Australia / to wear a helmet 6. Sweden / to go to prison 7. Britain / identity card 8. Israel / to do military service 9. Singapore / chewing-gum B*. Write several sentences about 5 things that young people can do and 5 things they can’t do in Russia.
4. File 2. Listening 14 Listen and write the numbers you hear.
1. …. 2. …. 3. …. 4. …. 5. ….
5. File 2. Listening 16 Listen and complete the chart.
Destination Type of ticket Price Next train Platform Journey time 6. File 2. Listening 21 Listen to a radio programme and write information about: 1) international news; 2) business news; 3) sport; 4) the weather.
7. File 2. Listening 22 Listen and answer the questions.
1) Why did the man want to commit suicide 2) How was he going to do it 3) Did the police arrive immediately 4) What did the police tell him 5) What did he discover when he came back to the car CONTROL WORK 1. File 3. Listening 1 Listen to the beginning of the auction and write down the things which belong to famous rock stars.
1. John Lennon – 5. Prince – 2. David Bowie – 6. Elvis Presley – 3. Keith Richard – 7. Michael Jackson – 4. Elton John – 2. File 3. Listening 6 Listen to a telephone message and complete the chart.
Name Surname Morgan Date of journey Leaves from / time London / 7.45 a.m.
Arrives in / time Budapest / Flight number Hotel Phone number How long stays 3. File 3. Listening 11 Listen to the description of Odysseus’s route from Troy to Ithaca by Homer and write down the places he stopped at in the right order.
1. The mainland with two terrible monsters.
2. Hades, the land of the dead.
3. A big island where the one-eyed giants called Cyclops lived.
4. Ithaca, where Odysseus’s wife Penelope waited for him.
5. The island of Circe.
6. Again Circe’s island.
7. Past the beautiful Sirens.
4. File 3. Listening A. Listen to Jim and complete the following instructions.
1. Go … the path, … the ….
2. Go … the path for about ….
3. Go … the … on your ….
4. Go … the forest and then … into the ….
5. Go … the … and … the ….
B*. Describe your way home from the university.
5. File 3. Listening 16 Listen to the telephone conversations and write down why the people rang to the reception.
1. …. 2. …. 3. …. 4. ….
6. File 3. Listening 17 Listen to the dialogues and write down what the people are planning for the nearest feature.
1. …. 2. …. 3. …. 4. …. 5. ….
7. File 3. Listening A. Listen and answer the questions.
1) What was the man doing when the phone rang 2) Why did the policemen ring 3) What was in the bag 4) How long didn’t the man see his bag B*. Have you or your friends / relatives ever lost anything When Was it valuable Have you / they found it Write 5-7 sentences about it.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 4. Listening A. Listen to the information and compare the Americans and the British on the following topics.
Watching TV Drinking in bars Leaving home Health Clothes Sport Freedom B*. Compare you and your close friend on the same topics. Write about 10 sentences.
2. File 4. Listening 5 Listen to the Frenchman and answer the questions.
Why doesn’t he want to lend the American his newspaper Who is Yvette 3. File 4. Listening 7 Listen to the dialogue between a boss Zandra and her secretary Julie and answer the questions.
1) Did Julie go to the doctor yesterday 2) Why did she tell Zandra that she was ill 3) How did Zandra know about Julie’s going out 4. File 4. Listening 8 Listen to the advertisements. Put the slogans in the right order and write down what they advertise.
1. The oldest university in Europe - ….
2. The greatest film - ….
3. The best larger in the world - ….
4. The happiest place on Earth - ….
5. The world’s friendliest airline - ….
6. The most beautiful drink in the world - ….
7. The world’s most popular king-size filter cigarette - ….
8. The most famous building in the world - ….
5. File 4. Listening 13 Listen and choose from the following the food they ordered. Transcribe the words in bold type.
- tomato and orange soup - roast chicken - lemon cheesecake - red wine - pepper steak - mineral water - chef’s green salad - mushroom and spinach lasagne - smoked salmon 6. File 4. Listening A. Listen to five dialogues and write down the problems which the customers have (one problem in each dialogue).
B*. Write 5-10 sentences about a problem you once had in a cafe or a restaurant. Was it solved 7. File 4. Listening 16 Listen to the politician and write down her promises about the following things.
1. Jobs. 2. Place to live. 3. Taxes. 4. Education. 5. Old people.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 5. Listening A. Listen to the interview with Natalia who is speaking about her favourite things. Write why they are so important to her and how long she has had them.
1. A BMW car. 2. A yellow T-shirt. 3. A cup. 4. An Olympic medal. 5. A gold bracelet. 6. A photo.
B*. Write about your five favourite possessions. Why are they so important to you Do you agree with the opinion that as a person grows older he has more and more dear things Support your position.
2. File 5. Listening 5 Listen to the dialogue and answer the questions about Charles Bornat.
1) Where was he born 2) How old is he How does he feel 3) What was his job before he retired 4) How long has he lived in Coventry 5) What does he do in his free time 6) What kind of music does he like 7) What are his future plans 3. File 5. Listening 7 Listen to the story and give full answers to the following questions: Why was their marriage a secret What was the reason for their death 4. File 5. Listening 10 Listen to the dialogue and complete the instructions.
1. Go … this street, Broadway, for about … ….
2. Take the … turning … the ….
3. Go … … until you … to Exchange Place.
4. Turn … … Nassau Street, then … the … turning on the ….
5. Go … Wall Street for about … … and it’s … the ….
5. File 5. Listening 12 Listen to the dialogues and write if the following statements are true or false. Correct the false ones.
1) Pieter speaks to 6 people. 2) He doesn’t have a map. 3) He wants to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. 4) He is very far from the Museum.
5) He has to get a bus ¹5 only. 6) He needs to get off at 86th Street. 7) The Museum is in Hyde Park. 8) A tourist tells him the right way. 9) The Museum is open on Mondays only. 10) Pieter is very upset.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 6. Listening A. Listen to five people talking about housework and complete the chart.
Like / love Don’t mind Don’t like / hate B*. Answer the questions.
1) What housework do you have to do in your family 2) What do you like most of all Why 3) What do you hate Why 4) Do you agree with the opinion that women like shopping more than men Support your position.
2. File 6. Listening A. Listen to Anna and Jerry describing each other after they met for the first time. Write down what kind of people they are.
Anna is …. Jerry is ….
B*. Write 7-10 sentences describing a perfect student.
3. File 6. Listening 8 Listen to a radio programme about rubbish and write down what the following figures refer to.
a) 7 b) 1 c) 7 million d) 80 million e) 50 f) 60 g) 45 h) 173.
4. File 6. Listening 9 Listen to the dialogue and answer the questions.
1) What’s the village Fanlac like 2) What are its positive and negative points 5. File 6. Listening 12 Listen to the dialogues in the shop and write down the problems the customers want to be solved.
1. …. 2. …. 3. ….
6. File 6. Listening 13 Listen to a radio programme about a professional sportswoman and decide whether the following statements are true or false. Correct the false ones.
1) Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is a Spanish tennis player. 2) She spends her free time travelling round the world. 3) She trains the whole week except weekends. 4) She goes to bed at twelve o’clock. 5) Her diet is very strict, so she never eats chocolate. 6) She never drinks coffee and alcohol, even champagne. 7) She doesn’t smoke.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 7. Listening A. Listen to the dialogue and write in two columns things Andy has already done (5) and things he hasn’t done yet(2).
B*. Write about 3 things that you’ve already done at university this year and things you haven’t done yet.
2. File 7. Listening A. Listen to the interview and answer the questions.
1) Why did the BBC invite John into their programme “Hearts of Gold” 2) What did John do when he saw the terrible conditions in a town called Negru Voda 3) What did he do first 4) Why did he persuade his wife and friends to come to the town 5) How long did they work there 6) What changes did they notice in the children’s behaviour B*. There are a lot of famous people in the world who are famous for their good or bad deeds. Write 7-10 sentences about one of them.
3. File 7. Listening 10 Listen to a radio phone-in programme and write what the listener’s problem is.
4. File 7. Listening 11 Listen to the story. Read the following summary, find and correct the mistakes in it.
One morning two men from the Gas Company came to an old lady to repair her gas fire. After they had finished the work the room was full of dust, so they decided to open the windows. Accidentally they released the old lady’s canary. They caught it and put it back on the perch of the cage by the time the old lady came into the room.
5. File 7. Listening 12 Listen to the end of the story and write why the old lady was so surprised.
6. File 7. Listening 14 Listen to the telephone calls and decide if the following statements are true or false. Correct the false ones.
Call 1. Peter phones Varig Airlines to book a ticket.
Call 2. Peter speaks to his friend’s wife.
Call 3. It’s late evening in Holland.
CONTROL WORK 1. File 8. Listening 5 Listen to the information and match the dates and the speakers. Write what they said.
1860 Lord Haldane, politician 1907 Dick Roe, London record producer 1943 James Davidson, music critic 1961 Margaret Thatcher, British Prime Minister 1971 Richard Nixon, President of the USA 1976 Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM 2. File 8. Listening 6 Listen to the dialogues and put down the following topics in the right order.
1. Fashion. 3. Sport. 5. Films.
2. Weather. 4. Politics.
3. File 8. Listening A. Listen to the interview with Caroline Sarll, the president of the British organisation called “Chocoholics Unanimous” and answer the questions.
1) When was the society organised 2) Who makes the majority of members: men or women 3) How often do the members meet What do they have for dinner during the meetings 4) Do they try to give up eating chocolate B*. There are a lot of problems in our society nowadays. What organisations like “Chocoholics Unanimous” would you suggest to open Imagine the name of your organisation. What aims would it have Write 10 sentences.
4. File 8. Listening 10 Listen to the guide talking about the Tower of London and decide if the following statements are true or false. Correct the false ones.
1. The Tower of London has a part which is called the Bloody Tower.
2. Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII spent 80 days in the Tower and then she was executed.
3. Anne’s head was cut off because she couldn’t give Henry a son, only a daughter.
4. Since then the ghost of Anne Boleyn without a head has been seen many times in the Tower.
5. File 8. Listening A. Listen to the dialogue between Pieter and a doctor and complete the Doctor’s recommendations.
1. You must rest ….
2. Don’t try to ….
3. You mustn’t ….
4. Here is a ….
5. If you don’t feel better ….
B*. Give advice in the following situations.
1) I have a flu. 2) I’m tired of my studies. 3) I ran out of money.
6. File 8. Listening 14 Listen to 4 dialogues and continue the following statements.
1. The man was worried because …. 3. James was surprised because ….
2. They were both upset because …. 4. The woman took … for herself.
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL CONTROL WORK 1. Tapescript Introduction 1 Listen to the dialogues and write down the numbers you hear.
1. …. 2. …. 3. …. 4. …. 5. ….
2. Tapescript Introduction 2 Listen to the dialogues and write down the names spelled.